The Harold Hunter Foundation, in association with presenting sponsor adidas Skateboarding, and primary sponsors G-Shock, HUF and Skullcandy, have announced they will host a series of art, photography and skateboarding events in New York City from Wednesday, May 31 through Sunday, June 4 – all in remembrance of legendary skateboarder Harold Hunter who passed away in 2006.
Traditionally a one-day skate jam known as Harold Hunter Day, now in its eleventh year, the festivities will be bigger and more diverse than ever before. This year will see an extended Harold Hunter Weekend of special events that celebrate everything Harold cherished most including skateboarding, art, music, friends, family, and the Big Apple.
“We believe that skateboarding has the power to change lives,” says adidas Senior Communications Manager Cullen Poythress. “The Harold Hunter Foundation is a living testament to the positive impact and influence skateboarding can have on the lives of young people, and adidas is very excited to help drive its mission to empower, inspire, and support future generations of New York City skateboarders.”
As a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, the Harold Hunter Foundation (HHF) relies on financial support from the skate community and related outlets to achieve its mission of using skateboarding as a vehicle to provide under-served youth with valuable life experiences that nurture individual creativity, resourcefulness, and the development of life skills.
Schedule & Event Details
Here’s an overview of HH Weekend events and collaborations that will benefit the Harold Hunter Foundation (all events open to the public unless noted otherwise):
WEDNESDAY, MAY 31
6:00pm – 9:00pm
– HH Weekend kick-off party at UXA (99 Scott Avenue, Brooklyn)
– Official launch of the limited edition HHF x adidas x UXA skateboard deck and t-shirt featuring an image of Harold by photographer Sue Kwon; available exclusively at the UXA store and at events throughout the weekend with proceeds to benefit the HHF
THURSDAY, JUNE 1
6:00pm – 9:00pm
– Ryan Zimmerman “Common Thread” photo show presented by adidas and the Harold Hunter Foundation at the SoHo Arts Club (136 Bowery, Manhattan)
– Show will feature 30 portraits shot by Ryan Zimmerman of influential people within the NYC skateboarding community
FRIDAY, JUNE 2
6:00pm – 8:00pm
– Panel discussion hosted by the HHF, G-Shock, and The Boardr
– Amateur skaters competing in the HHF Wildcard Contest division of The Boardr Am will learn about working in the skateboarding industry from a panel of industry veterans (private event)
8:30pm – 10:00pm
– HH Weekend party at G-Shock SoHo (454 West Broadway, Manhattan)
SATURDAY, JUNE 3
10:00am – 5:00pm
– The Boardr Am featuring the second-annual HHF Wildcard Contest (Coleman Oval/LES Skatepark, Manhattan)
– Open to 20 local skaters, the winner of the HHF Wildcard Contest will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the finals at the Am Getting Paid contest in Montreal, Canada
6:00pm – 10:00pm
– HRLD Photo Exhibition presented by adidas and the HHF at the SoHo Arts Club (136 Bowery, Manhattan)
– Show will feature dozens of classic photos of Harold shot by more than 15 notable photographers from the skate industry; photos will be sold via silent auction with all proceeds to benefit the HHF
SUNDAY, JUNE 4
1:00pm – 6:00pm
– Harold Hunter Day XI Skate Jam (Coleman Oval/LES Skatepark, Manhattan)
– All-ages skate jam featuring pop-up “Best Trick” contests with cash and prizes, live music, and a massive product toss with free decks, headphones, t-shirts, hats, and more
Limited HHF x HUF Product Capsule
Additionally, to coincide with HH Weekend, a limited edition HHF x HUF product capsule featuring co-branded socks and a t-shirt will be available on the HUF website, at the HUF NYC and LA stores, and at select retailers nationwide starting June 2 with proceeds to benefit the foundation. Plus, a limited edition HHF x Skullcandy Air Raid Speaker is currently available at the SHUT store on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, with proceeds benefiting the HHF.
Sweet Chick’s “Harold Special”
If you knew Harold, then you know he loved a good meal. From June 1-18, longtime HHF restaurant partner Sweet Chick will once again offer a Harold-inspired dish with a portion of proceeds to benefit the foundation. Available at all three Sweet Chick locations (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Los Angeles), the “Harold Special” features Boonkie Drumsticks & Sweet Corn Waffles (named after Harold’s beloved dog “Boonkie”), side of string beans, and Harold’s Lemonade (fresh-squeezed lemonade mixed with Harold’s whiskey of choice, Jack Daniel’s).